Felony Defense Lawyer in Las Vegas
Consequences of a Felony Conviction
If you are facing a felony charge, you need an aggressive defense attorney fighting on your behalf. Penalties for felonies are severe and often involve lengthy prison sentences. A felony conviction also bears consequences beyond the specific penalties imposed for the crime involved.
Some of the possible effects of having a felony conviction on your record include:
- Being barred from certain professions
- Difficulty obtaining employment
- Difficulty obtaining housing
- Difficulty obtaining loans from financial institutions
- Loss of the right to vote or serve on a jury
- Inability to purchase or possess firearms or ammunition
- Increased charges and penalties in certain future legal matters
- Exclusion from certain travel permissions
- Deportation if not a United States citizen
Felony Charges in the State of Nevada
In the state of Nevada, a felony is described as any criminal offense with a potential prison sentence of one or more years. Such crimes are classified by a letter system:
- Class A Felony: Includes offenses such as murder, arson, and rape. Penalties can include life imprisonment without parole or the death penalty. Fines may be levied.
- Class B Felony: Includes offenses such as manslaughter, burglary, sexual offenses, and white collar crimes. Penalties include prison sentences of 1 to 20 years and possible fines.
- Class C Felony: Includes offenses such as robbery, grand larceny, assault and battery, and theft. Penalties include prison sentences of 1 to 5 years and possible fines of up to $10,000, unless a greater fine is required by statute or authorized.
- Class D Felony: Includes offenses such as DUI and illegal use of a controlled substance. Penalties can include 1 to 4 years in prison and fines of up to $5,000, unless a greater fine is required by statute or authorized.
- Class E Felony: Includes offenses such as non-payment of child support and possession of a controlled substance. Penalties include 1 to 4 years in prison.
Okabe & Haushalter: Defending Your Rights
At Okabe & Haushalter, we can fight aggressively to defend your rights and freedoms. Our goal is always to help you avoid conviction. We can thoroughly investigate your case and seek to invalidate the prosecution’s evidence or obtain evidence to be used in your favor. The burden is on the prosecution to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, and we can fight to have this standard upheld so your defense bears as much weight as possible. Where a conviction is involved, we may be able to negotiate on your behalf to achieve a reduction in charges.
Do not hesitate to contact a Las Vegas felony defense lawyer if you are facing felony charges and potentially the lifelong consequences of a felony conviction.